There are some very obvious and some not so obvious signs that garage door repair should be on your to-do list. Before we look at 6 common signs, let’s just remind ourselves about that door we all take for granted. Your garage door protects your home or business from wind, rain and snow. It deters theft, and minimizes rodent and other unwelcome forms of infestation. You use it over a thousand times a year. You push a button, you press a clicker or key in a code. The door opens and closes, so what else is there to know? This is what else. Garage doors are complex constructions. The electronics can fail, the drive mechanism can wear out and the moving parts can break. They usually don’t fail without warning, so it pays to pay attention. When they do fail, you have a big problem. Here are 6 things to pay attention to.
1) There’s a strange noise when the door moves. You didn’t notice it, before, because you’re usually in your vehicle. That strange noise means something is not right. The noise could mean a stripped gear. The noise might be coming from the door, not the motor, but the noise is a sign that something is not right.
2) One or more of the rollers that run up and down the side tracks on the door look wrong; they seem to wobble when the door moves. The noise could be coming from damaged or broken rollers. Eventually, the door will skew putting extra stress on the drive mechanism.
3) The door panels look wrong. One side of a panel seems to have a wider gap than the other side. This could be the sign of a broken hinge. Again, this will stress the motor and will leading to a major breakdown.
4) You notice the bottom of the door seems to let in the rain. The bottom seal is not meeting the concrete. The rubber seal might just be old and perished, or it was damaged by last winter’s frost. If the seal doesn’t keep out the rain, it won’t keep out the bugs and the snakes.
5) The door stops halfway up or halfway down. Now this is a real easy sign! If the door sticks, it could be because the damaged rollers, the stripped gear or the broken hinge have caused the door to fail. It was always going to happen, and today it happened.
6) The door closes when there is something in the way. This is the sign of a serious problem with the magic eye. The infra red beam should work to prevent that heavy door from closing on a person or your pet.
Garage doors fail, and they can fail at the most inconvenient time. The best time to arrange for garage door repair is before the little problem becomes a big one.